Project Run and Play Season 24. Week 2: Cut it up.

Project Run and Play Season 24 Week 2: Cut it up. 


                        This Week theme really got me. It took me longer to decide on the look I want, and it took me much much longer to prepare everything. I never really do any patchwork before, so after doing this project, I have so much respect for quilters. Once I made my mind on the design, I had to change it because Jade was not too excited about the look. Then recently I watched this Netflix Series "Emily in Paris", and we both love her looks so much. I asked Jade what she wanted, and she wanted a dress with mini skirt. As usual, I went to pinterest for inspiration and Jade pointed out this style. 





                            The inspiration behind this week's design is to cooperate two cultures. I am from Indonesia and hubby is from Scotland. We both are very proud of our culture and heritage. Indonesia has batik and Scotland has Tartans. Hence, the choice of plaid fabric and Batik become the centre of the designs. Tartans have so many colours and designs depending which clan you are belong to. And Indonesia is known for its Batik which also has so many designs and colours depending on the Areas. For this dress, I am using the batik from Bali. 



                           This week, Jade wanted a dress with mini skirt. I used the Mutton Chop from Duchess and Hare as my pattern base. I raise the neckline a little bit because I want high collar. I have to say, I am struggling with the collar. Even after making so many clothes with collar, my collar never turned out so good. I had to re-make the collars few times to get the look I wanted.  I made the sleeves using Thistle from jennuine designs. This bishop sleeves just got me all excited when I made one the first time. Even though the sleeves are intended for knit fabric, I made it work with this woven fabric. I changed the upper sleeves of thistle with the upper sleeves from Mutton Chop.  As  for mini skirt, I just drafted myself and added ruffles to give the extra length and gave the looks Jade wanted. 


                          Since the main fabric is made from tiny pieces of different fabric, I know I have to fully lined the dress to make it comfortable for Jade to wear it.  





                        I added invisible zipper on the cuffs to make it easier to put it on and off. I originally wanted to use rib cuffs but I only have black rib and hubby was not too keen on it. So I changed it by cutting my batik fabric and add zipper. There is no exposed seam on this dress because I cover every seam with batik tape.  As always, when I made something, I never 100% happy with it until Jade puts it on. She really makes everything I made turns out so good. 


                


                        I was not sure how this combination would work. I have had this flannel plaid fabric for sometimes, so I knew I was going to use it to bring the scottish element on the dress (plaid is the closest one I have to resembles the tartans). As for Indonesian element,  I used three different batik patterns here. We have so many designs and colours in Batik. Batik from Bali is characterised by its tourist attraction style of natural Balinese looks such as frangipani flowers and hibiscus flowers, bird or fish patterns. The ones I am using have modern touch on the colours and designs. I just love how batik can be transform easily into different style of clothings. Batik Jacket is the one on my list. 

                            


                           I don't normally mix so many different print and colours into my designs. So when I put these pieces of fabric together, my husband looked at me with his worried look. I assured him that these would work. Then I ran out of the pink batik fabric and the peach batik fabric after cutting the front bodice and he even more freaked out. so I freaked out. lol. But I told myself that I would make it work. 



                        Hence, the back has less colour combinations and patterns. I decided not to use the patchwork fabric on my sleeves and ruffles to tone down the look. It took me a while to figure out what fabric I am going to use. At first, I was going to use the white flowery batik for the sleeves, but I don't have enough fabric to make two sleeves. I have black linen fabric left from the outer I made, but black fabric just make the dress feel so dark. So I opted out for this white linen to brighten up the dress. and I am loving the colour combo now. Even my not so enthusiastic husband started to nod when he saw the final result. And finally he smiled. 


                            I didn't add the button all the way to the top because I love the look when it slightly opens. I only add a hook on the top to bring the collar together. And She just loves showing off the invisible zipper on the cuffs.





                              
                            I hope you like my creation for this week. Head over to my blog tweensstudio.id to read more about this week's look.

                            And please vote for me if you want to see what I am preparing for next week. You can vote here. Thank you!! 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts