Project Run and Play Season 24: Week 1 - Lovely Layers

 


                Cannot believe that Week 1 is finally here. I have been so stressing out about this week for weeks now. Still cannot believe it myself that I was asked to be part of this. 

                When I saw Project Run and play IG post last week, my heart beat so fast. After weeks keeping this as a secret, today was the day I can finally tell my family and friends that I am part of season 24 designers of Project Run and Play. 

                When Audrey asked me to join this season, I politely decline. I told her I was honoured that she offered me. But I am not a designer. I don't know how to design something and I cannot even draft my own pattern. But she assured me that I don't need to draft my own pattern. I can use the existence pattern to create my vision. 

                Can I do a pattern hack then?? 

                And she quickly said yes. And I thought. Hmm, I could do pattern hack. I did it a lot lately due to my demanding daughter.  So I said Yes!! I am up for a challenge

Week 1: Lovely Layers



               When I found out that the first week theme was Lovely Layers, I was worried. Living in tropical country like mine, we really don't get to layer our clothing. It is mostly sunny and humid here. Even during rainy season like now, it still feels really hot. So the mountain was the first thing went through my mind because that is the only place where we need two or three layers of clothing.
                
                My girl just cannot stand the heat very well. So I need to make sure that she is warm enough but she is still comfortable when the weather starts getting warmer.     



                        I know I want to do sweatshirt so I dig into my pattern collection and choose this Alex Sweatshirt by Sucobysusana as my pattern base. I chose Susana's pattern because it has crop top option which is my daughter's new favourite style. I changed the bodice to have a dolman style sleeves. and add these puff sleeves with elastic casing. I came accross this style when I looked through pinterest for inspiration. I just made the long sleeves a bit puffier. and it turned out so much better than I imagined. Instead of adding the rib on the bottom of the bodice, I simply folded up to make elastic casing. I am using baby terry as my bodice and Cotton Modal for the sleeves. 



    
                        I just love how the sleeves looked when she moves. As for the bottoms, Jade requested longer skirts and she'd been begging me for this pleated skirt. This skirt is the only thing I can draft. I'd been saving this pleated fabric for a while. I love how flowy this fabric is but thick enough to keep her warm.




                        She absolutely loves this skirt so much. I only bought a meter of this fabric, so I just used that as the width of the skirt and I cut the length as she requested. 


                    To complete the look,  I wanted the outer to be light but still give her the warmth when it gets cold. So I chose Linen for this outer. I am using the City Light Cape from Puzzle Patterns as my pattern base. I was looking for something long and it has a hood. And I thought this City Light Cape is the perfect pattern to use. 




                    I changed the sleeves slightly by making straight lines instead of curve as the original pattern but keeping the length.  I also straighten up the hem to make it more boxy.  I didn't add any lining on this one because I wanted to keep it very light outerwear so I just added facing to the front bodice and to the back so there wont be any exposed seams where the hood is.


                       The City Light Cape is using buttons on the sleeves to attach the front bodice to the back. I actually sew the sleeves together but stopped about 1,5 inch from the underarm curved because I wanted the side split. 


                        




                Then I added pockets because she always needs pockets. Even after I made this and took flat lay pictures, I still was not sure about the overall looks. But when my daughter put this on and seeing her face so happy, my mind was made up. 

                
                            There are two hood options on this pattern. and I am using the round hood because I like to keep things simple. I love how wide and roomy the hood is. My daughter absolutely loves this outer so much!



                        I named this "Roar Up the mountain" because of her fabric choice. She always loved dinasour and insisted on using this fabric for this design. 

If you like this design and want to see more of what I am preparing for next week. 




Thank you so much for stopping by.

Love,

Fey


Comments

  1. Keren bgt. Apapun yg di pake Jade,pasti akan terlihat Istimewa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter is absolutely beautiful -- and so was everything you created for her! I would die for a pleated skirt like that in my closet. And I'm ALL about funky sleeves right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Thank you!! We are the same. and I think big puffed sleeves really make a comeback now.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts