#patternhacking: Transforming knit skirt pattern into woven skirt.

 Pattern Hack


                    So few weeks ago, my customer send me pictures of the outfit she wants me to make. I started taking orders since two months ago because I need to buy more fabric. lol. I have been actively sewed for my daughter instagram account. and I have gotten quiet bit of interest. I never had the courage about taking orders before because I was afraid that my customers will request something that I could not possibly make. But in these few months, I realised that I can do more than I thought I could. 😎

                   So she sent me this picture. I think she got them from local shop but they don't have her daughter size. So she messaged me and asked me if I could make it for her. If She asked me last year, I would have said NO. But I need the money and I love to challenge myself too.


            When I look at this picture, I paid attention more on the skirt. It is a high and low skirt and I remembered I made something similar but I used knit fabric. 

                    

                This skirt I made using  Wallacia skirt pattern using Wicked Patterns. It has the same look as the skirt my customer requested. So I decided to use this pattern as the base of the skirt.

                As usual, I googled on how to use knit pattern for woven. And most article I found said that easiest way to do it is to size up. so that is what I did. kind of. 😆I might do this incorrectly. I am not a pattern designer and I really don't know how to draft my own pattern. I just did what I thought might work. And fortunately, it worked wonderfully!! 

               

        As you can see here, this skirt has elastic waistband while the skirt my customer requested has flat front waistband. I could not really see if it has back elastic waistband but I decided on making the flat front with elastic back. 



                                            I just love the curved hem on this skirt so much. 😍😍😍



                        so this is what I did to make this outfit: 




1. I traced the front and back pattern. I made size 6 length with 7 width. 

2. I added 2cm to the width of the skirt on side seams to replace the stretchiness of the fabric. Remember, this pattern is meant for knit. 

2. I cut out  3 inch of the length because I wanted to add some ruffles on the hem. My ruffles was 4 inch length and I used 3x measurements of the skirt hem for the ruffles width. 

3. I added a strip of fabric 5cm width x the length of the skirt for the faux button. 

4. Once I got all cut out. I sewed them using Wallacia Skirt tutorial. Except at the part where I only add elastic at the back waistband and I sewed the ruffles into the skirt. 

As for the fabric covered button. I don't have the tools to make these buttons. So I just cut a square of fabric big enough to wrap around the buttons I have on hand. And I just use sewing thread to get them tight. 

So that's it!! 



                And look at that! It fits perfectly on her beautiful daughter. 





Comments

Popular Posts